From: Mike S. on

In article <3bbb8804-21a1-4fcd-9cdb-4e40a46ced29(a)59g2000hsb.googlegroups.com>,
MIG <googlespam(a)doreenbird.co.uk> wrote:
>I got an Advent ADE-RDR01 all in one card reader, which is supposed to
>work with Windows 98 according to the box.
>
>There is no driver for Windows 98 and it doesn't seem to be possible
>to find one anywhere.
>
>The sale of these things seems to be a scam to get people to call a
>�1.50 a minute phone line when they find that there is no driver for
>the thing, and probably no help from there if you did.

Universal mass storage drivers for Windows 98/SE have been cobbled
together. Your mileage may vary.


http://www.technical-assistance.co.uk/kb/usbmsd98.php


From: MIG on
On 4 Aug, 20:22, jimbok <jimkelREM...(a)frontiernet.net> wrote:
> On Mon, 4 Aug 2008 18:47:09 +1000, "PeteD" <n...(a)likely.com> wrote:
> >I got an Advent ADE-RDR01 all in one card reader, which is supposed to
> >work with Windows 98 according to the box.
>
> >There is no driver for Windows 98 and it doesn't seem to be possible
> >to find one anywhere.
>
> You need to install the USB Mass Storage Device in Win98.  The files
> you will need are 'USBSTOR.SYS' and 'USBNTMAP.SYS.'   Both of these
> files should be copied to your 'C:/WIndows/System32/Drivers' folder.
> When Windows looks for the driver, point it to that folder.  You might
> already have usbstor.sys on your machine, but probably will not have
> usbntmap.sys.  If so, do a Google search for the file/s or find
> someone with a copy of WinME, which will have the files.
> jimbok

Thanks.

I had already installed other mass storage devices, so I assumed that
that was all sorted and it was only the specific device that was a
problem.

Could it be that previous devices have their specific drivers, but
that these are general drivers that will work with something like this
card reader?

(Incidentally, it is 98SE. I kind of assumed that that was the only
kind of 98 likely still to be working and didn't specify.)
From: Olin K. McDaniel on
On Mon, 04 Aug 2008 15:22:36 -0400, jimbok
<jimkelREMOVE(a)frontiernet.net> wrote:

>On Mon, 4 Aug 2008 18:47:09 +1000, "PeteD" <not(a)likely.com> wrote:
>
>>I got an Advent ADE-RDR01 all in one card reader, which is supposed to
>>work with Windows 98 according to the box.
>>
>>There is no driver for Windows 98 and it doesn't seem to be possible
>>to find one anywhere.
>
>You need to install the USB Mass Storage Device in Win98. The files
>you will need are 'USBSTOR.SYS' and 'USBNTMAP.SYS.' Both of these
>files should be copied to your 'C:/WIndows/System32/Drivers' folder.
>When Windows looks for the driver, point it to that folder. You might
>already have usbstor.sys on your machine, but probably will not have
>usbntmap.sys. If so, do a Google search for the file/s or find
>someone with a copy of WinME, which will have the files.
>jimbok


Thanks for the info. I use Win 98 S.E. as well as Win 2000, on a
multiple boot system, and I've had trouble trying to read anything of
USB 2 type gear in the Win 98 setup. It will read USB 1 just fine.
So, after reading your post, I find I do NOT have either of those two
files you suggested. Maybe I need to go looking for them also.

Olin McDaniel

To reply by email, please remove "abcd" from Return address
-----------------------------------------------------
"Ignorance is treatable, Stupidity is incurable. Sometimes
the difference is hardly distinguishable, however."
From: jimbok on
On Tue, 05 Aug 2008 17:02:57 GMT, mcdanielo.abcd(a)bellsouth.net (Olin
K. McDaniel) wrote:

>On Mon, 04 Aug 2008 15:22:36 -0400, jimbok
><jimkelREMOVE(a)frontiernet.net> wrote:
>
>>On Mon, 4 Aug 2008 18:47:09 +1000, "PeteD" <not(a)likely.com> wrote:
>>
>>>I got an Advent ADE-RDR01 all in one card reader, which is supposed to
>>>work with Windows 98 according to the box.
>>>
>>>There is no driver for Windows 98 and it doesn't seem to be possible
>>>to find one anywhere.
>>
>>You need to install the USB Mass Storage Device in Win98. The files
>>you will need are 'USBSTOR.SYS' and 'USBNTMAP.SYS.' Both of these
>>files should be copied to your 'C:/WIndows/System32/Drivers' folder.
>>When Windows looks for the driver, point it to that folder. You might
>>already have usbstor.sys on your machine, but probably will not have
>>usbntmap.sys. If so, do a Google search for the file/s or find
>>someone with a copy of WinME, which will have the files.
>>jimbok
>
>
>Thanks for the info. I use Win 98 S.E. as well as Win 2000, on a
>multiple boot system, and I've had trouble trying to read anything of
>USB 2 type gear in the Win 98 setup. It will read USB 1 just fine.
>So, after reading your post, I find I do NOT have either of those two
>files you suggested. Maybe I need to go looking for them also.
>
>Olin McDaniel

The two files I listed are necessary for most generic readers to work
in Win98se, under USB 2.0. They are Windows Mass Storage Device files
that were not ordinarily available in Win98se. However, they might be
in Win2000. I suggest that you search 2000 and if the two files are
there, copy them to your 98se windows/system/32/drivers folder. Then,
when you try to 'update' the driver for the card reader, point the
installer to the above folder.
Unless you have a real oddball card reader, that should do the trick.
Of course, if you don't have those two files you'll have to do a
Google search. They are Microsoft files.


jimbok
From: jimbok on
On Tue, 5 Aug 2008 04:48:57 -0700 (PDT), MIG
<googlespam(a)doreenbird.co.uk> wrote:


>Could it be that previous devices have their specific drivers, but
>that these are general drivers that will work with something like this
>card reader?

Yes, the files I listed are Microsoft Windows files, not usually
included in Win98se, but are included in WinME and later.
High speed USB 2.0 was not ordinarily supported until WinME and later.
Try adding the two files. Can't hurt anything and will likely solve
your reader problem, unless it's a real oddball.


jimbok