From: Olin K. McDaniel on
On Tue, 05 Aug 2008 17:23:08 -0400, jimbok
<jimkelREMOVE(a)frontiernet.net> wrote:


>>Thanks for the info. I use Win 98 S.E. as well as Win 2000, on a
>>multiple boot system, and I've had trouble trying to read anything of
>>USB 2 type gear in the Win 98 setup. It will read USB 1 just fine.
>>So, after reading your post, I find I do NOT have either of those two
>>files you suggested. Maybe I need to go looking for them also.
>>
>>Olin McDaniel
>
>The two files I listed are necessary for most generic readers to work
>in Win98se, under USB 2.0. They are Windows Mass Storage Device files
>that were not ordinarily available in Win98se. However, they might be
>in Win2000. I suggest that you search 2000 and if the two files are
>there, copy them to your 98se windows/system/32/drivers folder. Then,
>when you try to 'update' the driver for the card reader, point the
>installer to the above folder.
>Unless you have a real oddball card reader, that should do the trick.
>Of course, if you don't have those two files you'll have to do a
>Google search. They are Microsoft files.
>
>
>jimbok


Well, I located the files via a Google search, but was highly annoyed
by the majority of those sites who wanted to charge some obscene price
to supply each one. Eventually, I did find someone who would let me
download them free, and did so. Then I installed them in the folder
you recommended, and rebooted.

No different - could still not read any USB-2 device. Just to make
this clear, I'm NOT referring to my memory card reader, which is
compatible with USB 1.0. But I'd hoped this would allow me to read
the pictures from my camera, while hooked up thru the USB port. It is
a USB 2.0 device and Win98 S.E. still cannot recognize it.

But thanks, for your efforts to help.

Olin McDaniel

To reply by email, please remove "abcd" from Return address
-----------------------------------------------------
"Ignorance is treatable, Stupidity is incurable. Sometimes
the difference is hardly distinguishable, however."
From: jimbok on
On Wed, 06 Aug 2008 22:29:32 GMT, mcdanielo.abcd(a)bellsouth.net (Olin
K. McDaniel) wrote:

>Then I installed them in the folder
>you recommended, and rebooted.

Olin, you can't just 'reboot' and expect the mass storage drivers to
load. In 'Control panel/system/device manager' you must select the
device/properties and then choose 'Update driver.' During the update
driver procedure, you have to tell Windows to look in that folder for
the drivers.
If you have done that and it didn't work, then I'm sorry it didn't
work for you. I have installed those files and 'updated' USB 2.0
device drivers with those files at least a dozen times in 98SE and it
worked for me every time.
jimbok
From: John Turco on
MIG wrote:
>
> On 4 Aug, 12:38, "Mr. Strat" <r...(a)nospam.techline.com> wrote:
> > In article
> > <4896c208$0$24176$5a62a...(a)per-qv1-newsreader-01.iinet.net.au>, PeteD
> >
> > <n...(a)likely.com> wrote:
> > > "MIG" <googles...(a)doreenbird.co.uk> wrote in message
> > >news:3bbb8804-21a1-4fcd-9cdb-4e40a46ced29(a)59g2000hsb.googlegroups.com...
> > > I got an Advent ADE-RDR01 all in one card reader, which is supposed to
> > > work with Windows 98 according to the box.
> >
> > Uh...you might want to upgrade to an operating system that's newer than
> > 10 years old.
>
> (Like Vista ...?)
>
> Effectively you mean buy a new PC, which may happen one day, unless
> you've found a way of installing XP (or Vista, ha) on a Pentium III.


Hello, MIG:

I've been running Windows XP (Home Edition), on my home-built PIII
1GHz computer (with 1GB of RAM), since February of 2007.

No problems, whatsoever.


Cordially,
John Turco <jtur(a)concentric.net>
From: "Paul Bartram" p.bartram AT OR NEAR on

"Mr. Strat" <rag(a)nospam.techline.com> wrote

> Uh...you might want to upgrade to an operating system that's newer than
> 10 years old.

Even though I was sent (by an overseas friend) an unwanted copy of XP, I
resisted changing from W98SE for ages, mainly because I had old peripherals
(like a TV capture card and a Nikon LS1000 slide scanner) which do not have
drivers that are XP certified, or work at all. I finally 'bit the bullet'
last year, installed the OS and tweaked everything to match the colours,
fonts and layouts I was familiar with, and defaulted everything to 'Windows
Classic'. It looks pretty similar, but the thing that surprised me was there
were 'work-arounds' for all my defunct pieces. The LS1000 for example works
better under Vuescan than it did under the 'correct' Nikon interface. The
same with the Lifeview capture card, I used drivers from a much newer model,
undocumented by the makers.

The great thing about XP though is that it includes a hell of a lot of
generic drivers that allow you to 'plug n play' stuff that you had to
download to use under W98SE. SP2 even enables USB2 for you, and has a basic
firewall (something I did without for ages!)

OK, it's not perfect, and I'm not going near Vista until they can get their
electronic ducks in a row, but neither would I go back to 98...

Paul


From: MIG on
On 7 Aug, 06:55, "Paul Bartram" <p.bartram AT OR NEAR mysoul.com.au>
wrote:
> "Mr. Strat" <r...(a)nospam.techline.com> wrote
>
> > Uh...you might want to upgrade to an operating system that's newer than
> > 10 years old.
>
> Even though I was sent (by an overseas friend) an unwanted copy of XP, I
> resisted changing from W98SE for ages, mainly because I had old peripherals
> (like a TV capture card and a Nikon LS1000 slide scanner) which do not have
> drivers that are XP certified, or work at all. I finally 'bit the bullet'
> last year, installed the OS and tweaked everything to match the colours,
> fonts and layouts I was familiar with, and defaulted everything to 'Windows
> Classic'. It looks pretty similar, but the thing that surprised me was there
> were 'work-arounds' for all my defunct pieces. The LS1000 for example works
> better under Vuescan than it did under the 'correct' Nikon interface. The
> same with the Lifeview capture card, I used drivers from a much newer model,
> undocumented by the makers.
>
> The great thing about XP though is that it includes a hell of a lot of
> generic drivers that allow you to 'plug n play' stuff that you had to
> download to use under W98SE. SP2 even enables USB2 for you, and has a basic
> firewall (something I did without for ages!)
>
> OK, it's not perfect, and I'm not going near Vista until they can get their
> electronic ducks in a row, but neither would I go back to 98...
>
> Paul

On a new PC I'd only use XP (Pro) for the foreseeable, but my poor
little Pentium III won't handle it.