From: Elliott Roper on
I live in UK, the heart of PAL land, yet I can't see much reason to set
my 5Dii to anything but 29.97 fps. Am I missing something?
I'll be mainly doing vids for family, exported from Final Cut to DVD or
Blu-ray snippets on DVD, maybe a little Vimeo and YouTube if I ever get
good enough
1. I never want to output to interlaced PAL SD
2. Higher frame is the better for smooth motion.
3. All DVD and Blu-ray devices seem happiest at 29.97
4. As is the MacBook while using my projector as a second screen.
5. I get the second best options for integer slow-downs if a squint a
bit and call it 30 == 5*3*2 and 24 = 2*2*2*3 and 25 is hopelessly 5*5

My second choice would be 24, but is the 'film look' all that important?

Anybody got better ideas, more experience?

--
To de-mung my e-mail address:- fsnospam$elliott$$
PGP Fingerprint: 1A96 3CF7 637F 896B C810 E199 7E5C A9E4 8E59 E248
From: Ray Fischer on
Elliott Roper <nospam(a)yrl.co.uk> wrote:
>I live in UK, the heart of PAL land, yet I can't see much reason to set
>my 5Dii to anything but 29.97 fps. Am I missing something?

Yep. Assuming that the menus are similar to those in the 7D you'll
need to set the "Video System" to PAL before it'll let you set the
rate to 25 or 50 fps.

--
Ray Fischer
rfischer(a)sonic.net

From: Elliott Roper on
In article <4ba43de9$0$1676$742ec2ed(a)news.sonic.net>, Ray Fischer
<rfischer(a)sonic.net> wrote:

> Elliott Roper <nospam(a)yrl.co.uk> wrote:
> >I live in UK, the heart of PAL land, yet I can't see much reason to set
> >my 5Dii to anything but 29.97 fps. Am I missing something?
>
> Yep. Assuming that the menus are similar to those in the 7D you'll
> need to set the "Video System" to PAL before it'll let you set the
> rate to 25 or 50 fps.

Yes. I know /how/ to do it (although there is no 50 fps) What I was
interested in was your opinion on why I should bother.

--
To de-mung my e-mail address:- fsnospam$elliott$$
PGP Fingerprint: 1A96 3CF7 637F 896B C810 E199 7E5C A9E4 8E59 E248
From: Ray Fischer on
Elliott Roper <nospam(a)yrl.co.uk> wrote:
>In article <4ba43de9$0$1676$742ec2ed(a)news.sonic.net>, Ray Fischer
><rfischer(a)sonic.net> wrote:
>
>> Elliott Roper <nospam(a)yrl.co.uk> wrote:
>> >I live in UK, the heart of PAL land, yet I can't see much reason to set
>> >my 5Dii to anything but 29.97 fps. Am I missing something?
>>
>> Yep. Assuming that the menus are similar to those in the 7D you'll
>> need to set the "Video System" to PAL before it'll let you set the
>> rate to 25 or 50 fps.
>
>Yes. I know /how/ to do it (although there is no 50 fps) What I was
>interested in was your opinion on why I should bother.

Ah.

Dunno. If you're planning on sharing the video with friends then it
would be convenient to have a frame rate that's a standard for you.
Lower frame rate makes for a smaller file?

--
Ray Fischer
rfischer(a)sonic.net