From: SMS on
... wrote:
> Nikon brings out a new DSLR only to update it 6 months later. The D700 has
> not be available that long and now they are discontinuing it and replacing
> it with an upgrade, D700X. They did the same with the D40X introduced it and
> then 4 months later discontinued it.
> I was looking at a D90 but if there is a chance it could be discontinued in
> 6 months maybe I should wait?

Nikon is struggling to keep up with Canon, and the D700X is part of that
strategy. Look for a D300 upgrade very soon as well, so they can
compete with the 50D. Canon is still the leading system, but Nikon has
finally got its act together in sensors, an is giving Canon a run for
its money, in least in bodies. Nikon still lags Canon badly in terms of
lenses.

Probably not worth waiting on the D90. The upgrade to the Canon XSi will
add HD video with stero audio to leapfrog the D90, then the D90x (or
whatever they call it) will go from mono to stereo.
From: nospam on
In article <Xns9B5868915ED86That80sGuy(a)198.186.190.61>, That80sGuy
<clark(a)griswold.com> wrote:

> DSLRs need to be made modular. If you can have interchangeable film backs
> you can have interchangeable sensors.

making it modular will make the camera bigger and more expensive, not
to mention that pretty much everything other than the shell will need
to be replaced.
From: John McWilliams on
That80sGuy wrote:
> In message news:GLMTk.1784$V71.947(a)newsfe10.iad, ".."
> <Ginnaam1(a)hotmail.com> done wrote:
>
>> Nikon brings out a new DSLR only to update it 6 months later. The D700
>> has not be available that long and now they are discontinuing it and
>> replacing it with an upgrade, D700X. They did the same with the D40X
>> introduced it and then 4 months later discontinued it.
>> I was looking at a D90 but if there is a chance it could be
>> discontinued in 6 months maybe I should wait?
>
> DSLRs need to be made modular. If you can have interchangeable film backs
> you can have interchangeable sensors.

We already have that. You get excellent lenses, then from time to time
get a new sensor wrapped in a new body.....changing is quicker this way.

--
john mcwilliams
From: Alfred Molon on
In article <5bWTk.11745$Ws1.7090(a)nlpi064.nbdc.sbc.com>, SMS says...

> The upgrade to the Canon XSi will
> add HD video with stero audio to leapfrog the D90, then the D90x (or
> whatever they call it) will go from mono to stereo.

<grin> Just one year ago people here were ridiculing video in a DLSR
("real" photographers not needing that). Now it's one of the most
important features. Go figure.

The same happened with live preview, also ridiculed as something no real
photographer would ever meed or want, and now it's a must-have feature.

And as soon as Canon launches a camera with a full-colour-per-pixel
sensor, suddenly all cameras will have to have this feature.
--

Alfred Molon
------------------------------
Olympus 50X0, 8080, E3X0, E4X0, E5X0 and E3 forum at
http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/MyOlympus/
http://myolympus.org/ photo sharing site
From: Alfred Molon on
In article <161120081037184397%nospam(a)nospam.invalid>, nospam says...

> making it modular will make the camera bigger and more expensive, not
> to mention that pretty much everything other than the shell will need
> to be replaced.

Also, improvements are made all the time to all systems in a camera, not
just in one.
--

Alfred Molon
------------------------------
Olympus 50X0, 8080, E3X0, E4X0, E5X0 and E3 forum at
http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/MyOlympus/
http://myolympus.org/ photo sharing site