From: Bill Graham on

"Doug McDonald" <mcdonald(a)NoSpAmscs.uiuc.edu> wrote in message
news:h847ec$skt$2(a)news.acm.uiuc.edu...
> DG wrote:
>> Kulvinder Singh Matharu wrote:
>>> Came across this article about AP publishing a photo of a dying US
>>> marine and the controversy surrounding it. There hasn't been much
>>> news here in the UK about it but I expect that it's big news in the
>>> US.
>>>
>>> <http://www.thefirstpost.co.uk/53173,news,photograph-of-dying-marine-joshua-bernard-was-it-right-for-the-associated-press-to-publish>
>>>
>>> I'm all up for showing how things are and the press have done so on
>>> may occasions, but at the same time the family must be very upset. So
>>> I'm in two minds about this. Storm in a tea cup? Or genuine concern
>>> on showing dead or dying NATO/ISAF soldiers?
>>
>>
>> What's a photographer supposed to do? Quit shooting in a war zone
>> because someone might die? If people are upset about the photo then they
>> should blame the
>> politicians for the war, not the photographer for the image.
>>
>
>
> NO! They should blame the scum people who print it against
> the family's wishes, and the people who
> started the war: al Qaeda and the Taliban. There is nothing
> wrong with the photographer taking it ... if the family
> had agreed, publishing it would have been OK.
>
> Doug McDonald

During WW-II Guys like Ernie Pyle took hundreds of photos of dead and dying
soldiers, many of which were published in the newspapers of the day. There
was no way he (or anyone else) could have gotten permission from the
relatives of the soldiers. This is just the face of war, and it should be
reported, but in an unbiased way..........

From: Bill Graham on

"Clancy Clarity" <cc(a)cantspam.org> wrote in message
news:hv8ba55s081f46bskdm6cucb7r8hbblj1g(a)4ax.com...
> On Mon, 07 Sep 2009 19:10:52 -0500, Doug McDonald
> <mcdonald(a)NoSpAmscs.uiuc.edu> wrote:
>
>>DG wrote:
>>> Kulvinder Singh Matharu wrote:
>>>> Came across this article about AP publishing a photo of a dying US
>>>> marine and the controversy surrounding it. There hasn't been much
>>>> news here in the UK about it but I expect that it's big news in the
>>>> US.
>>>>
>>>> <http://www.thefirstpost.co.uk/53173,news,photograph-of-dying-marine-joshua-bernard-was-it-right-for-the-associated-press-to-publish>
>>>>
>>>> I'm all up for showing how things are and the press have done so on
>>>> may occasions, but at the same time the family must be very upset. So
>>>> I'm in two minds about this. Storm in a tea cup? Or genuine concern
>>>> on showing dead or dying NATO/ISAF soldiers?
>
> This is the first I heard about it. During the 60's and 70's is was
> perfectly common practice to show all the atrocities of war. But the
> right-wing scum are too afraid of showing anyone the truth these days.
> It's
> how they're able to perpetuate their stupidity and insanity, by not making
> it clear to the world. They're too insecure and afraid to show their true
> face and all they have "accomplished" to the world.
>
>>>
>>>
>>> What's a photographer supposed to do? Quit shooting in a war zone
>>> because someone might die?
>>>
>>> If people are upset about the photo then they should blame the
>>> politicians for the war, not the photographer for the image.
>>>
>>
>>
>>NO! They should blame the scum people who print it against
>>the family's wishes, and the people who
>>started the war: al Qaeda and the Taliban. There is nothing
>>wrong with the photographer taking it ... if the family
>>had agreed, publishing it would have been OK.
>>
>>Doug McDonald
>
> So ... let me get this straight .... It's okay to photograph them killing
> someone and publishing it without asking, but not okay to photograph them
> being killed and publishing it without asking. Have I got that correct
> now?
>
Yeah, and what's this stuff about "right wing scum"? Aren't there any "left
wing scum"? I am right wing, and I am happy with the published photo. At
least he's a soldier......It seems to me that all the civilian deaths are
carefully recorded by the, "left wing scum".

From: Giftzwerg on
In article <q5GdnRkp9JUInDrXnZ2dnUVZ_oCdnZ2d(a)giganews.com>, weg9
@comcast.net says...

> During WW-II Guys like Ernie Pyle took hundreds of photos of dead and dying
> soldiers, many of which were published in the newspapers of the day.

Cite?

--
Giftzwerg
***
"Nobody wants what the president is selling, insofar as anybody can
figure out exactly what he's selling. The magic elixir may be the
president himself, and lately nobody's buying that, either."
- Wes Pruden
From: Bill Graham on

"Doug McDonald" <mcdonald(a)NoSpAmscs.uiuc.edu> wrote in message
news:h84b6v$sn$2(a)news.acm.uiuc.edu...
> stephe_k(a)yahoo.com wrote:
>> Kulvinder Singh Matharu wrote:
>>> Came across this article about AP publishing a photo of a dying US
>>> marine and the controversy surrounding it. There hasn't been much
>>> news here in the UK about it but I expect that it's big news in the
>>> US.
>>>
>>> <http://www.thefirstpost.co.uk/53173,news,photograph-of-dying-marine-joshua-bernard-was-it-right-for-the-associated-press-to-publish>
>>>
>>> I'm all up for showing how things are and the press have done so on
>>> may occasions, but at the same time the family must be very upset. So
>>> I'm in two minds about this. Storm in a tea cup? Or genuine concern
>>> on showing dead or dying NATO/ISAF soldiers?
>>
>>
>> I feel images like this might make just some of the "pro war" people
>> realize that yes fighting wars does cost lives. Shots of soldiers lined
>> up in a parade might be more pleasant but isn't reality.
>>
>
>
> What about compensating images of al Qaeda's victims .. like the
> hrrobly burned ones from 9/11, of the Taliban's victims. Funny,
> we almost never see those people! Only the Left uses such images for
> their political purposes.
>
> Doug McDonald

This is exactly why I mentioned the photo of Saddam's guys throwing people
off the roof of the ten story building......You almost never see these
photos, only the ones of our guys accidently killing civilians......

From: Bill Graham on

"Reality Bytes" <rbytes(a)antispam.org> wrote in message
news:lhdba599108fpmdt1s1qblcn49l0lqpfq2(a)4ax.com...
> On Tue, 08 Sep 2009 01:29:48 GMT, Igetrightwingersangry(a)nospan.com wrote:
>
>>
>>
>>...And if the picture was of you --> and the last memory your children
>>would have of you, would it still be okay to publish it?
>>
>>
>
> Most certainly. I'd love nothing better than to show them and give them
> proof of what happens when you unknowingly become nothing but a
> corporate-pawn under the guise of "protecting freedom".
>
Hummm..... was going to say that I would love to have a photo of someone I
cared about dying in the cause of freedom. But, whatever turns you on.....