From: Neil Harrington on

"Peter" <peternew(a)nospamoptonline.net> wrote in message
news:4bf3c280$0$27770$8f2e0ebb(a)news.shared-secrets.com...
> "Neil Harrington" <never(a)home.com> wrote in message
> news:AeOdnWUqufQCyG7WnZ2dnUVZ_tWdnZ2d(a)giganews.com...
>>
>> "C J Campbell" <christophercampbellremovethis(a)hotmail.com> wrote in
>> message
>> news:2010051819271316807-christophercampbellremovethis(a)hotmailcom...
>>> On 2010-05-18 17:38:12 -0700, nospam <nospam(a)nospam.invalid> said:
>>>
>>>> In article <4bf32972$0$30201$8f2e0ebb(a)news.shared-secrets.com>, Peter
>>>> <peternew(a)nospamoptonline.net> wrote:
>>>>
>>>>> In the mid- 70s cockpit doors were usually shut. The one exception I
>>>>> remember was flying Concord. I was permitted to stand at the entrance,
>>>>> with
>>>>> the door open. I could not take any pictures, not because of
>>>>> regulations,
>>>>> but because I had no film in my camera.
>>>>
>>>> concorde didn't have a cockpit door. that was one of the reasons for
>>>> its retirement post-911, where a reinforced cockpit door was mandated.
>>>> retrofitting it would have cost quite a bit.
>>>
>>> More than the value of a Concorde?
>>>
>>> <sigh> There was a day when pilots could afford to be friendly to
>>> passengers.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Waddling Eagle
>>> World Famous Flight Instructor
>>
>> Just curious, C J: Are you really a flight instructor?
>>
>
> Does it matter?

Does it "matter"? I asked because I'm curious, as I said. It "matters" to
the extent that I am curious.

I am a lifelong aviation enthusiast, and therefore am especially interested
in people who are or have been pilots.


From: C J Campbell on
On 2010-05-18 17:07:40 -0700, "Peter" <peternew(a)nospamoptonline.net> said:

> "Bruce" <docnews2011(a)gmail.com> wrote in message
> news:f2m5v5lcmnio1bpj0p5q0eg9gh83i3vn13(a)4ax.com...
>> On Tue, 18 May 2010 09:16:01 -0700, C J Campbell
>> <christophercampbellremovethis(a)hotmail.com> wrote:
>>> On 2010-05-18 05:29:38 -0700, Bruce <docnews2011(a)gmail.com> said:
>>>
>>>> On Tue, 18 May 2010 04:12:29 -0700, C J Campbell
>>>> <christophercampbellremovethis(a)hotmail.com> wrote:
>>>>
>>>>> On 2010-05-18 00:41:41 -0700, Bruce <docnews2011(a)gmail.com> said:
>>>>>
>>>>>> On Mon, 17 May 2010 16:45:41 -0700, C J Campbell
>>>>>> <christophercampbellremovethis(a)hotmail.com> wrote:
>>>>>>
>>>>>>> You have confused "private property" with "private place." An airplane,
>>>>>>> cruise ship, restaurant, sports stadium, or garden might well be
>>>>>>> private property. But they are public places -- open to the general
>>>>>>> public. As such, the burden of proof is on you to show that you have a
>>>>>>> reasonable expectation of privacy in such places.
>>>>>>
>>>>>>
>>>>>> Everyone should beware amateur "legal experts" who post on Usenet
>>>>>> newsgroups.
>>>>>
>>>>> ROFL! Such as yourself, you mean?
>>>>
>>>>
>>>> On the contrary, because I shoot images for a living, I have to know
>>>> where I stand in relation to the law. As a result, I pay for, and
>>>> take account of, specialist legal advice.
>>>>
>>>> You, on the other hand, can give all the BS advice you want, because
>>>> you haven't any experience to tell you just how wrong you are. You
>>>> are completely out of touch with reality.
>>>
>>> Actually, I also pay for specialist legal advice.
>>>
>>> Okay, so my lawyer disagrees with your lawyer.
>>
>>
>> Mine is one of the UK's top intellectual property lawyers who also
>> lectures in IP law at two Ivy League universities and at the UK's top
>> law school.
>>
>> I emailed him a copy of this thread. He called me to thank me for
>> giving him his best laugh so far in 2010 (it was your comments that he
>> found especially amusing) and asked me if he could use the discussion
>> in his lectures as a particularly good illustration of people's
>> ignorance about the law. I said that appeared to be almost a
>> definition of "fair use" and he laughed even more ...
>>
>> You are truly hilarious. Congratulations!
>>
>>
>
>
> If he was half the expert you claim him to be he would have pointed out
> that laws differ in different jurisdictions.
> IOW....................................

If he exists at all.
--
Waddling Eagle
World Famous Flight Instructor

From: Bruce on
On Wed, 19 May 2010 06:58:47 -0700, C J Campbell
<christophercampbellremovethis(a)hotmail.com> wrote:
>On 2010-05-18 17:07:40 -0700, "Peter" <peternew(a)nospamoptonline.net> said:
>>
>> If he was half the expert you claim him to be he would have pointed out
>> that laws differ in different jurisdictions.
>> IOW....................................
>
>If he exists at all.


That's a pretty lame answer from someone who, just a couple of posts
ago, was dishing out "definitive advice".

Of course that turned out to be pure, 100% BS.

As for laws differing across the world, of course they do. But one
area of law where there is a welcome (though not total) degree of
convergence is that which relates to photography. The IP lawyer I
consulted has practised in London, Paris, New York and Hong Kong.


From: Peter on
"Neil Harrington" <never(a)home.com> wrote in message
news:fLadnbcLpulUf27WnZ2dnUVZ_oqdnZ2d(a)giganews.com...
>
> "Peter" <peternew(a)nospamoptonline.net> wrote in message
> news:4bf3c280$0$27770$8f2e0ebb(a)news.shared-secrets.com...
>> "Neil Harrington" <never(a)home.com> wrote in message
>> news:AeOdnWUqufQCyG7WnZ2dnUVZ_tWdnZ2d(a)giganews.com...
>>>
>>> "C J Campbell" <christophercampbellremovethis(a)hotmail.com> wrote in
>>> message
>>> news:2010051819271316807-christophercampbellremovethis(a)hotmailcom...
>>>> On 2010-05-18 17:38:12 -0700, nospam <nospam(a)nospam.invalid> said:
>>>>
>>>>> In article <4bf32972$0$30201$8f2e0ebb(a)news.shared-secrets.com>, Peter
>>>>> <peternew(a)nospamoptonline.net> wrote:
>>>>>
>>>>>> In the mid- 70s cockpit doors were usually shut. The one exception I
>>>>>> remember was flying Concord. I was permitted to stand at the
>>>>>> entrance, with
>>>>>> the door open. I could not take any pictures, not because of
>>>>>> regulations,
>>>>>> but because I had no film in my camera.
>>>>>
>>>>> concorde didn't have a cockpit door. that was one of the reasons for
>>>>> its retirement post-911, where a reinforced cockpit door was mandated.
>>>>> retrofitting it would have cost quite a bit.
>>>>
>>>> More than the value of a Concorde?
>>>>
>>>> <sigh> There was a day when pilots could afford to be friendly to
>>>> passengers.
>>>>
>>>> --
>>>> Waddling Eagle
>>>> World Famous Flight Instructor
>>>
>>> Just curious, C J: Are you really a flight instructor?
>>>
>>
>> Does it matter?
>
> Does it "matter"? I asked because I'm curious, as I said. It "matters" to
> the extent that I am curious.
>
> I am a lifelong aviation enthusiast, and therefore am especially
> interested in people who are or have been pilots.
>

Have you been to the Air Museum in Farmingdale, LI.
If you will be at the air show in Jones Beach I will say hello. I have gone
every year when the weather is good.

--
Peter

From: John McWilliams on
Neil Harrington wrote:

> I am a lifelong aviation enthusiast, and therefore am especially interested
> in people who are or have been pilots.

Hello, Neil! I earned my ticket my Junior year in college, but it's been
so long since I was 'current' that I can barely remember whether stick
forward pushes the nose up or down. But I am not in a flap over any of
that, as I have little desire to fly high these days. I've still to do
lighter than air save for hot air balloons, and I might try the tiny
propelled ones.

--
john mcwilliams