From: Sam on

"Pete D" <no(a)email.com> wrote in message
news:463afa2e$0$17199$5a62ac22(a)per-qv1-newsreader-
> Wireless flash has been available since 1.10, what Samsung flashes are you
> using?<<

I've bought the Samsung SEF-36PXF, which is an identical clone of the Pentax
AF-360FGZ. It cost �99.99, unlike the Pentax version which goes for between
�150 - �200.


>> In fact, it's possible that the 'in lens motor' concept was a Samsung
>> requirement at the planning stage of the K10D - GX10 - it was, after all,
>
> Rubbish, this is market driven because the big players have in lens
> motors.<

'Rubbish'? - try not to be so agressive. I, personally, have little doubt
that in-lens motors were Samsung's idea - they know what the market wants,
unlike Pentax who were obliged to constantly reissue dismal variations of
their 6mp *istD until Samsung put some money into the pot.

I daresay that, if not for the need by Pentax to support existing lenses,
Samsung would have gone for in-lens drive from the outset.


>
>> Samsung's cash that made it possible, and they might well have insisted
>> upon a more up to date drive system, while Pentax wanted to keep the body
>> drive for legacy reasons. If that's the case, there is no way they will
>> not allow their own GX-10 to support the new lenses

> Everyone has known for weeks.


Endless product delays are another Pentax specialty (645D, anyone?....) -
perhaps, this time, prompted by the fact that they are on the brink of going
out of the camera business for good.

Samsung will still be around though ;)


From: Charlie Self on
On May 4, 3:06�am, "Sam" <n...(a)thisaddress.net> wrote:
> "Paul Mitchum" <use...(a)mile23.c0m> wrote in message
>
> news:1hxjs37.jed9g11fe8k00N%usenet(a)mile23.c0m...
>
>
>
>
>
> > Sam <n...(a)thisaddress.net> wrote:
>
> >> "Paul Mitchum" <use...(a)mile23.c0m> wrote in message
> >>news:1hxjpqn.etn724pqlb2lN%usenet(a)mile23.c0m...
> >> > Sam <n...(a)thisaddress.net> wrote:
>
> >> >> Just in case anyone was wondering whether the Samsung GX-10 (K10D
> >> >> clone)
> >> >> is
> >> >> as good as the Pentax version, wonder no more - it's better.
> >> > [..]
>
> >> > Does it have the firmware to control the SDM autofocus in the new DA*
> >> > lenses?<<
>
> >> I don't know - I've put Samsung firmware 1.2 on it today, which gives all
> >> the current Pentax features, wireless flash, etc.
>
> >> Samsung state that 'weather sealed lenses' are due 'in the first quarter
> >> of
> >> 2007' - so that obviously means the new DA*'s, which in turn obviously
> >> means
> >> that it's almost certain that the firmware will support in-lens drive.
>
> > Well, no it doesn't mean that at all. The DA* lenses can also use the
> > in-camera motor, and I can imagine Pentax wanting their brand to have
> > the super-cool feature set that Samsung/Schneider doesn't. It'd be nice
> > to know for sure, but I can't even find the cameras on Samsung's
> > website.<
>
> Maybe, but I doubt if Samsung will lose that advantage, given their
> expressed corporate intention to become a major player in the DSLR market.
>
> In fact, it's possible  that the 'in lens motor' concept was a Samsung
> requirement at the planning stage of the K10D - GX10 - it was, after all,
> Samsung's cash that made it possible, and they might well have insisted upon
> a more up to date drive system, while Pentax wanted to keep the body drive
> for legacy reasons.   If that's the case, there is no way they will not
> allow their own GX-10 to support the new lenses
>
>
>
> > By the way, the DA* ship date has been moved to August (ask me how I
> > know).<<
>
> OK - how do you know ;)- Hide quoted text -
>
> - Show quoted text -

I just checked U.S. prices for the K10D and the Samsung. Straight
body, K10D is $850 (minus 50 buck rebate), Samsung is $1000. That's
at B&H. Not for me.

From: Pete D on

"Sam" <not(a)thisaddress.net> wrote in message
news:dbKdnY_cdML-Z6fbRVnyuwA(a)eclipse.net.uk...
>
> "Pete D" <no(a)email.com> wrote in message
> news:463af7b3$0$17198$5a62ac22(a)per-qv1-newsreader-01.iinet.net.au...
>> LOL.<
>
> ...and the joke is?....
>
>

CHeck out the original post, this guy is a goose or a twit, ot both.


From: Pete D on

"Sam" <not(a)thisaddress.net> wrote in message
news:4KCdnQJJqo7RYKfbRVnytgA(a)eclipse.net.uk...
>
> "Pete D" <no(a)email.com> wrote in message
> news:463afa2e$0$17199$5a62ac22(a)per-qv1-newsreader-
>> Wireless flash has been available since 1.10, what Samsung flashes are
>> you using?<<
>
> I've bought the Samsung SEF-36PXF, which is an identical clone of the
> Pentax AF-360FGZ. It cost �99.99, unlike the Pentax version which goes
> for between �150 - �200.

Identical clone??? LOL!


>>> In fact, it's possible that the 'in lens motor' concept was a Samsung
>>> requirement at the planning stage of the K10D - GX10 - it was, after
>>> all,
>>
>> Rubbish, this is market driven because the big players have in lens
>> motors.<
>
> 'Rubbish'? - try not to be so agressive. I, personally, have little doubt
> that in-lens motors were Samsung's idea - they know what the market wants,
> unlike Pentax who were obliged to constantly reissue dismal variations of
> their 6mp *istD until Samsung put some money into the pot.

And all yours did not work properly?


> I daresay that, if not for the need by Pentax to support existing lenses,
> Samsung would have gone for in-lens drive from the outset.
>
>
>>
>>> Samsung's cash that made it possible, and they might well have insisted
>>> upon a more up to date drive system, while Pentax wanted to keep the
>>> body drive for legacy reasons. If that's the case, there is no way
>>> they will not allow their own GX-10 to support the new lenses
>
>> Everyone has known for weeks.
>
>
> Endless product delays are another Pentax specialty (645D, anyone?....) -
> perhaps, this time, prompted by the fact that they are on the brink of
> going out of the camera business for good.

Link to this "proof"??

> Samsung will still be around though ;)
>


From: John Bean on
On 4 May 2007 04:36:33 -0700, Charlie Self
<charliediy(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>I just checked U.S. prices for the K10D and the Samsung. Straight
>body, K10D is $850 (minus 50 buck rebate), Samsung is $1000. That's
>at B&H. Not for me.

Charlie, the OP is quoting UK prices so I assume he's in the
UK. Samsung sells for a *much* lower price than Pentax in
the UK, not the other way around as it seems to be in the
US.

That's why I have a Samsung SA50-200 rather than a Pentax
DA50-200 on my DS.

--
John Bean