From: SMS on
Ron Hunter wrote:

> The smaller the camera, the more advantage the Li-ion battery has, but
> in most cases, there is still room for a couple of AA batteries.

I see a lot of ultra-oompacts, and a lot of digital SLRs, and fewer and
fewer cameras in the middle (like the Canon A series). This trend is
also reflected in camera sales, D-SLR sales are increasing at a greater
rate than non-D-SLR cameras.

While it's possible to make a D-SLR that runs on AA batteries, it's
uncommon because in a D-SLR the Li-Ion pack provides additional
advantages for D-SLRs.

Many digital SLRs can use six AA batteries in the optional vertical
battery grip (or two Li-Ion packs). The six AA batteries go into a tray
which is inserted into the grip. This solves the problem of fumbling
with twelve AA batteries, since they sell spare trays (as well as
solving the problem of flaky battery doors).

There's only a couple of AA powered, current D-SLR models on the market
now, with less than stellar reviews. In fact, several of the cons that
are listed in the reviews, are directly related to the power source. If
they had gone to six AA batteries rather than four, the camera size
would be larger but they'd have been able to solve some of the issue
caused by the lower voltage (4.8-5V for four AA, 7.2-7.5V for six AA,
7.4V for a Li-Ion pack with two cells inside).

Steve
"http://batterydata.com"
From: ASAAR on
On Sat, 01 Sep 2007 07:13:10 -0700, SMS wrote:

>>> D-SLRs use a lot of power so going to four AA batteries won't
>>> work, and even four AA batteries is a hassle.

>> Your statement that "four AA batteries won't work" is flat out
>> wrong, as owners of Pentax's K100D can tell you. It's one of those
>> cameras that you may also be surprised to know doesn't include
>> rechargeable batteries or a charger in the box, only 4 AA alkalines.
>> It can also use a pair of CR-V3 batteries in a pinch. Think of
>> Pentax's savings due to warrantees that aren't needed. :)
>>
>> Do you think that this is the only DSLR that uses four AA
>> batteries? Short answer. No. There are several others, and they
>> all have good battery life.

> While it's possible to make a D-SLR that runs on AA batteries, it's
> uncommon because in a D-SLR the Li-Ion pack provides additional
> advantages for D-SLRs.

Huh? From "D-SLRs use a lot of power so going to four AA
batteries won't work" to "it's possible to make a D-SLR that runs on
AA batteries, it's uncommon" in your next message salvo. That's a
quick flip-flop! And you claim that your kill filter prevents you
from reading my replies. Will wonders never cease? :)


> In fact, several of the cons that are listed in the reviews, are directly
> related to the power source.

Why not mention the cons (or even name some of those DSLRs, as
I've done) unless you're trying to con us? In all of the reviews of
those DSLRs that I've seen, battery life was said to be good.
You're back to your old deceptive spin tricks, I see. If you don't
reply I'll understand, since the need to continue keeping up
appearances can sometimes seem important.

From: J. F. Cornwall on
ASAAR wrote:
> On Sat, 01 Sep 2007 07:13:10 -0700, SMS wrote:
>
>
>>>>D-SLRs use a lot of power so going to four AA batteries won't
>>>>work, and even four AA batteries is a hassle.
>
>
>>> Your statement that "four AA batteries won't work" is flat out
>>>wrong, as owners of Pentax's K100D can tell you. It's one of those
>>>cameras that you may also be surprised to know doesn't include
>>>rechargeable batteries or a charger in the box, only 4 AA alkalines.
>>>It can also use a pair of CR-V3 batteries in a pinch. Think of
>>>Pentax's savings due to warrantees that aren't needed. :)
>>>
>>> Do you think that this is the only DSLR that uses four AA
>>>batteries? Short answer. No. There are several others, and they
>>>all have good battery life.
>
>
>>While it's possible to make a D-SLR that runs on AA batteries, it's
>>uncommon because in a D-SLR the Li-Ion pack provides additional
>>advantages for D-SLRs.
>
>
> Huh? From "D-SLRs use a lot of power so going to four AA
> batteries won't work" to "it's possible to make a D-SLR that runs on
> AA batteries, it's uncommon" in your next message salvo. That's a
> quick flip-flop! And you claim that your kill filter prevents you
> from reading my replies. Will wonders never cease? :)
>
>
>
>>In fact, several of the cons that are listed in the reviews, are directly
>>related to the power source.
>
>
> Why not mention the cons (or even name some of those DSLRs, as
> I've done) unless you're trying to con us? In all of the reviews of
> those DSLRs that I've seen, battery life was said to be good.
> You're back to your old deceptive spin tricks, I see. If you don't
> reply I'll understand, since the need to continue keeping up
> appearances can sometimes seem important.
>

Indeed. My Pentax K100D, using AA Eneloops, has great battery life.
And it takes great pictures.

Jim
From: ASAAR on
On Sat, 01 Sep 2007 12:51:24 -0500, J. F. Cornwall wrote:

>> In all of the reviews of those DSLRs that I've seen, battery life
>> was said to be good.
> . . .
>
> Indeed. My Pentax K100D, using AA Eneloops, has great battery life.
> And it takes great pictures.

If I hadn't had several old Nikkor lenses sitting unused for a
number of years, the K100D might have been not only my first DSLR,
but my first Pentax as well. :)

From: J. F. Cornwall on
ASAAR wrote:
> On Sat, 01 Sep 2007 12:51:24 -0500, J. F. Cornwall wrote:
>
>
>>> In all of the reviews of those DSLRs that I've seen, battery life
>>>was said to be good.
>>
>>. . .
>>
>>Indeed. My Pentax K100D, using AA Eneloops, has great battery life.
>>And it takes great pictures.
>
>
> If I hadn't had several old Nikkor lenses sitting unused for a
> number of years, the K100D might have been not only my first DSLR,
> but my first Pentax as well. :)

It's my first DSLR, but not my first Pentax. Still have my trusty old
K1000 and my wife's ME Super, and a few nice bits of glass we've had
since the late 70s...

Jim