From: Wilba on
Bill Graham wrote:
> Wilba wrote:
>> Bill Graham wrote:
>>>
>>> Maybe it had something to do with which side the shells were ejected
>>> from when the rifle action was worked....It would be very annoying to
>>> the driver if the hot shell casings were ejected into his face while he
>>> was trying to get away from the bad guys.....
>>
>> But in that photo the driver is on the ejector side.
>
> I don't know how you can tell....different rifles eject the shells to
> different sides.....As I remember, the M1 (used by US soldiers in WW-II,
> ejected the shells to the right, but I have seen other guns that ejected
> them to the left side....

As a general rule firearms are designed to eject on the opposite side from
most shooter's faces. In all my years of civilian and military shooting, I
don't recall any left-side ejection weapons - not saying they don't exist,
just that they aren't common enough for me to remember ever seeing any.

Anyway, it doesn't matter since it seems they mostly used shotguns, and the
driver sat on the right where the brake lever was.


From: Savageduck on
On 2009-11-14 16:44:39 -0800, "Bill Graham" <weg9(a)comcast.net> said:

>
> "Savageduck" <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote in message
> news:2009111406385244303-savageduck1(a)REMOVESPAMmecom...
>> On 2009-11-14 04:27:19 -0800, "Wilba" <usenet(a)CUTTHISimago.com.au> said:
>>
>>> Savageduck wrote:
>>>> Savageduck said:
>>>>> Wilba said:
>>>>>> Savageduck wrote:
>>>>>>> Wilba said:
>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>> Years ago I read that left-hand drive is safer overall, because when a
>>>>>>>> person is startled they tend to raise their non-dominant hand to
>>>>>>>> protect
>>>>>>>> their head. If at the time they are steering a car on the left of the
>>>>>>>> road, 9 out of 10 will therefore sverve into oncoming traffic.
>>>>>>>> Apparently the effect is statistically significant.
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>> It seems we left our history far behind. Have you ever noticed where
>>>>>>> the
>>>>>>> good old Wells Fargo stage coach driver sat, ...on the right, shotgun
>>>>>>> on
>>>>>>> the left.
>>>>>>
>>>>>> Don't see many of them 'round these here parts. :- )
>>>>>
>>>>> Note the driver on the left.
>>>>> http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/4/41/Concord_stagecoach_1869.png
>>>>
>>>> Sorry, that was the right, the shot gun was on the left.
>>>> Now I don't know my left from my right!
>>>
>>> I worked that out. :- )
>>>
>>> I wonder why they did it that way, since the driver is on the ejector
>>> side...? Maybe the convention pre-dates the widespread use of repeating
>>> rifles.
>>
>> I think it was a case of right handed shotgun shooters out numbering
>> left handed shooters. That way they wouldn't have to replace a driver
>> every time a left handed guard blew the driver away. Maybe a
>> qualification for shotgun guards was to be right handed.
>>
>> Maybe there was a rule of the road that stagecoach robbers had a "rob
>> from left side" only sense of etiquette. ;-)
>>
>>
>> --
>> Regards,
>>
>> Savageduck
>>
> Maybe it had something to do with which side the shells were ejected
> from when the rifle action was worked....It would be very annoying to
> the driver if the hot shell casings were ejected into his face while he
> was trying to get away from the bad guys.....

A left handed shotgun guard would be pointing his shotgun at the driver
on the left, when sitting on the right side, instead of pointing it
safely off to the right.
In any sort of a fight who cares where the empty cases go?
--
Regards,

Savageduck

From: Savageduck on
On 2009-11-14 17:12:22 -0800, "Bill Graham" <weg9(a)comcast.net> said:

>
> "Wilba" <usenet(a)CUTTHISimago.com.au> wrote in message
> news:0088d7a5$0$26867$c3e8da3(a)news.astraweb.com...
>> Bill Graham wrote:
>>> Savageduck wrote:
>>>> Wilba said:
>>>>> Savageduck wrote:
>>>>>> Savageduck said:
>>>>>>> Wilba said:
>>>>>>>> Savageduck wrote:
>>>>>>>>> Wilba said:
>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>> Years ago I read that left-hand drive is safer overall, because when a
>>>>>>>>>> person is startled they tend to raise their non-dominant hand to
>>>>>>>>>> protect
>>>>>>>>>> their head. If at the time they are steering a car on the left of the
>>>>>>>>>> road, 9 out of 10 will therefore sverve into oncoming traffic.
>>>>>>>>>> Apparently the effect is statistically significant.
>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>> It seems we left our history far behind. Have you ever noticed where
>>>>>>>>> the
>>>>>>>>> good old Wells Fargo stage coach driver sat, ...on the right, shotgun
>>>>>>>>> on
>>>>>>>>> the left.
>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>> Don't see many of them 'round these here parts. :- )
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>> Note the driver on the left.
>>>>>>> http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/4/41/Concord_stagecoach_1869.png
>>>>>>
>>>>>> Sorry, that was the right, the shot gun was on the left.
>>>>>> Now I don't know my left from my right!
>>>>>
>>>>> I worked that out. :- )
>>>>>
>>>>> I wonder why they did it that way, since the driver is on the ejector
>>>>> side...? Maybe the convention pre-dates the widespread use of repeating
>>>>> rifles.
>>>>
>>>> I think it was a case of right handed shotgun shooters out numbering
>>>> left handed shooters. That way they wouldn't have to replace a driver
>>>> every time a left handed guard blew the driver away. Maybe a
>>>> qualification for shotgun guards was to be right handed.
>>>>
>>>> Maybe there was a rule of the road that stagecoach robbers had a "rob
>>>> from left side" only sense of etiquette. ;-)
>>>
>>> Maybe it had something to do with which side the shells were ejected
>>> from when the rifle action was worked....It would be very annoying to
>>> the driver if the hot shell casings were ejected into his face while he
>>> was trying to get away from the bad guys.....
>>
>> But in that photo the driver is on the ejector side.
>>
> I don't know how you can tell....different rifles eject the shells to
> different sides.....As I remember, the M1 (used by US soldiers in
> WW-II, ejected the shells to the right, but I have seen other guns that
> ejected them to the left side....

A double barrel shotgun held by a righthander, when opened would eject
the shells to the right towards the driver on his right.
--
Regards,

Savageduck

From: Savageduck on
On 2009-11-14 17:01:38 -0800, "Wilba" <usenet(a)CUTTHISimago.com.au> said:

> Savageduck wrote:
>> Wilba said:
>>> Savageduck wrote:
>>>> Savageduck said:
>>>>> Wilba said:
>>>>>> Savageduck wrote:
>>>>>>> Wilba said:
>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>> Years ago I read that left-hand drive is safer overall, because when
>>>>>>>> a
>>>>>>>> person is startled they tend to raise their non-dominant hand to
>>>>>>>> protect
>>>>>>>> their head. If at the time they are steering a car on the left of
>>>>>>>> the
>>>>>>>> road, 9 out of 10 will therefore sverve into oncoming traffic.
>>>>>>>> Apparently the effect is statistically significant.
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>> It seems we left our history far behind. Have you ever noticed where
>>>>>>> the
>>>>>>> good old Wells Fargo stage coach driver sat, ...on the right, shotgun
>>>>>>> on
>>>>>>> the left.
>>>>>>
>>>>>> Don't see many of them 'round these here parts. :- )
>>>>>
>>>>> Note the driver on the left.
>>>>> http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/4/41/Concord_stagecoach_1869.png
>>>>
>>>> Sorry, that was the right, the shot gun was on the left.
>>>> Now I don't know my left from my right!
>>>
>>> I worked that out. :- )
>>>
>>> I wonder why they did it that way, since the driver is on the ejector
>>> side...? Maybe the convention pre-dates the widespread use of repeating
>>> rifles.
>>
>> I think it was a case of right handed shotgun shooters out numbering left
>> handed shooters. That way they wouldn't have to replace a driver every
>> time a left handed guard blew the driver away. Maybe a qualification for
>> shotgun guards was to be right handed.
>>
>> Maybe there was a rule of the road that stagecoach robbers had a "rob from
>> left side" only sense of etiquette. ;-)
>
> As so many things do, I bet if you dug deep enough you could trace it back
> to ancient Rome, and chariots. :- )

Probably even further back to Persian charioteers, driver and archer teams.


--
Regards,

Savageduck

From: Savageduck on
On 2009-11-14 16:52:33 -0800, "Bill Graham" <weg9(a)comcast.net> said:

>
> "Neil Harrington" <secret(a)illumnati.net> wrote in message
> news:-4adndaSj_OZbGPXnZ2dnUVZ_tednZ2d(a)giganews.com...
>>
>> "Savageduck" <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote in message
>> news:2009111407313133169-savageduck1(a)REMOVESPAMmecom...
>>> On 2009-11-14 06:58:27 -0800, George Kerby <ghost_topper(a)hotmail.com> said:
>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>> On 11/14/09 4:55 AM, in article
>>>> 2009111402550242612-savageduck1(a)REMOVESPAMmecom, "Savageduck"
>>>> <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote:
>>>>
>>>>> On 2009-11-14 02:53:09 -0800, Savageduck <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com>
>>>>> said:
>>>>>
>>>>>> On 2009-11-14 02:30:45 -0800, "Wilba" <usenet(a)CUTTHISimago.com.au> said:
>>>>>>
>>>>>>> Savageduck wrote:
>>>>>>>> Wilba said:
>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>> Years ago I read that left-hand drive is safer overall, because when a
>>>>>>>>> person is startled they tend to raise their non-dominant hand to protect
>>>>>>>>> their head. If at the time they are steering a car on the left of the
>>>>>>>>> road,
>>>>>>>>> 9 out of 10 will therefore sverve into oncoming traffic. Apparently the
>>>>>>>>> effect is statistically significant.
>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>> It seems we left our history far behind. Have you ever noticed where the
>>>>>>>> good old Wells Fargo stage coach driver sat, ...on the right, shotgun on
>>>>>>>> the left.
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>> Don't see many of them 'round these here parts. :- )
>>>>>>
>>>>>> Note the driver on the left.
>>>>>>
>>>> http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/4/41/Concord_stagecoach_1869.pn>>
>>>> g
>>>>>
>>>>> Sorry, that was the right, the shot gun was on the left.
>>>>> Now I don't know my left from my right!
>>>> The negative was flopped...?
>>>
>>> Aah! The Billy The Kid, left hand gun paradox.
>>
>> Yep. To this day, many (probably most) people still believe that Henry
>> "Billy the Kid" McCarty was left-handed. One of the movies about him,
>> "The Left Handed Gun," has surely contributed to that falsehood.
>>
>>
> Maybe they printed some of his earlier photos backwards.....:^)

The problem was it was a tin type which when printed reversed the image.

--
Regards,

Savageduck